How to Apply
CALL FOR APPLICATION FOR PROSPECTIVE Ph.D. STUDENTS - XXXII EDITION
Code: 16167 - PhD program in Psychology and Social Neuroscience
curriculum in Cognitive Social and Affective Neurosciences (CoSAN)
INSTITUTION: Department of Psychology, Sapienza University of Rome
Ph.D. COORDINATOR: Prof. Salvatore Maria Aglioti
DURATION: 3 Years (November 1st, 2016 - October 31st, 2019)
At the end of each year students' work is evaluated prior to admission to the following year.
POSITIONS AVAILABLE: 7 positions for both research curricula/groups.
CoSAN research curriculum:
* 3 positions with full-time stipend granted by the Italian Ministry of Education (MIUR)
* 1 position with no stipend to be allocated to one curriculum/group only
STIPEND: Euro 13.638,47 per year; which includes I.N.P.S. - National Insurance Contributions which fellowship recipients are required to pay (10,57% in 2016). The amount of the scholarship can be increased by 50% for research periods spent abroad, previously authorized by the Ph.D. Coordinator.
Self-funded students: A special track is reserved to self-funded non Italian applicants. In your letter of motivations please specify you are applying for a supernumerary self-funded position and include a declaration of funds availability.
Please, do contact us in advance, if you decide to apply as supernumerary candidate.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: Candidates, of all gender, age and nationality, must hold, by 31st of October 2016, an Italian “diploma di laurea/laurea specialistica/laurea magistrale”, or an equivalent second-level degree (generally equivalent to a Master’s Degree).
We seek highly-motivated applicants with a strong interest in system neuroscience and cognitive social and affective functions holding an undergraduate degree in disciplines related to the CoSAN PhD curriculum including but not limited to Psychology, Biology, Neuroscience, Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science.
Prospective Ph.D. students with experience in graphics and virtual environment programming and related skills are encouraged to apply.
Additional Requirements for candidates with a non-Italian degree: Please see Section 4 (ART. 4) at http://www.uniroma1.it/sites/default/files/PhD%20Bando%20inglese_201617_rivisto%20LS.pdf
Candidates who wish to apply for the CoSAN Ph.D. curriculum must:
1) Register or log in at the University Information System (Infostud) at the following link: http://www.uniroma1.it/didattica/sportelli/infostud.
2) Fill in the online application form
3) Pay the application fee (non refundable) of € 35,00 by 1stof August 2016 - before bank closing time (i.e. 4:30 pm)
4) E-mail email@example.com (subject: LAST NAME_Name - Admission PhD CoSAN 32 edition) the following documents:
- Scanned copy of Application Form and payment receipt
- Copy of the applicant’s ID or passport
- Curriculum Vitae in English - include your Skype contact
- Copy of degree certificate
- Academic transcript (exams, grades, credits)
- At least one letter of recommendations supporting the candidate. Letter(s) must be written in English and sent directly from supervisors.
- Letter of Motivation in English (a brief statement)
- Research proposal in English (max 5 pages). Please, consider that the aim of the Research Project is only to evaluate applicant’s research design skills, but it would not necessarily be PhD research topic.
- List of publications and research activity (if any)
- Any additional qualification and information the candidate wishes to be taken into account (if any)
Applications that do not meet the above-mentioned criteria will not be considered.
N.B. Please do not attach documents called “CV” or “Motivation”. Rather, please do add your name to each document (e.g. CV_your-last-name or Application_your-last-name).
Please, do send us your Skype contact.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications must be submitted by 1stof August 2016 - 11.59 pm CET
SELECTION PROCESS AND DUE DATES:
The whole selection procedure will be in English.
1) Complete the APPLICATION PROCEDURE by 1stof August 2016
2) CV AND DEGREES EVALUATION starting from 3rd of August 2016
The evaluation committee will take into consideration the following criteria:
- CV and academic transcript (exams, grades, credits)
- Letter of Motivation
- Letter(s) of recommendation supporting the candidate
and will assign a score ranging from 0 to 50.
N.B. Only applicants obtaining a minimum score of 30/50 will be invited to take part in the on-site interview.
Results and time schedule of the on-site interviews (point 3) will be available on http://www.cosanphd.com/ by 6th of August 2016.
3) ON-SITE INTERVIEWS for selected participants only.
- Where: Department of Psychology, Sapienza University of Rome, via dei Marsi n. 78, Rome Meeting Room (Sala Riunioni), second floor. (It is possible, following motivated requests, to conduct interview using video-conferencing facilities).
- When: from 7th of September 2016
- Interview topic: On-site interview will be held in English and will include applicant's presentation of his/her research proposal (15 minutes), discussion and personal motivations for applying to the CoSAN Ph.D. curriculum. The overall interview will last approximately 45 minutes.
Final selection results will be available on http://www.cosanphd.com/ by 26th of September 2016.
N.B. The evaluation committee will assign a score ranging from 0 to 70. Only applicants obtaining a minimum score of 50/70 will pass the competition.
SUPPORT FOR CANDIDATES WITH DISABILITY AND/OR LEARNING DIFFICULTIES: Please see section 7 (ART. 7) of http://www.uniroma1.it/sites/default/files/PhD%20Bando%20inglese_201617_rivisto%20LS.pdf.
CONTACT INFO: Any additional information concerning the CoSAN Ph.D. curriculum and the application procedure can be obtained by contacting:
Michela La Padula (organizational manager) - firstname.lastname@example.org (administrative issues)
Matteo Candidi – email@example.com (scientific issues)
Salvatore M. Aglioti - firstname.lastname@example.org (Ph.D. Co-ordinator)
Call for Applicants 2016/2017 (EN) - http://www.uniroma1.it/sites/default/files/PhD%20Bando%20inglese_201617_rivisto%20LS.pdf
Call for Applicants 2016/2017 (IT) - http://www.uniroma1.it/sites/default/files/Bando%2032%C2%B0%20ciclo.pdf